International Accreditation Commission for Systemic Therapy Education (IACSTE)
Accredited IACSTE Programs
Programs Accredited Based on Prior Accreditation
(April 2, 2017)
(based on 2015 Standards)
In this category are programs that seek IACSTE accreditation based on the fact that they already have met or exceeded the standards set by IACSTE in the process of meeting the standards of other accrediting bodies such as the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) or the Council on Accreditation for Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
• Appalachian State University (Master program) - Boone, NC, USA
• Hope International University (Master program) - Fullerton, CA, USA
• Northcentral University (Master and Doctoral programs) – Scottsdale, AZ, USA
• University of Massachusetts – Boston (Master program), - Boston, MA, USA
• University of San Diego – (Master program) - San Diego, CA, USA
Programs Not Previously Accredited that Meet the IACSTE Standards
(Based on 2015 Standards)
In this category are programs that seek IACSTE accreditation based on the fact that in many countries around the world there are few other opportunities to demonstrate competency as a training program through national accreditation.
• Centro Privado de Psicoterapias (CPP) (Advanced Family Therapy Program) - Buenos Aires, Argentina
• Bilgi University (Masters in Clinical Psychology with a Specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy) - Istanbul, Turkey
• Pan African Christian University (Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy) – Nairobi, Kenya
New Standards for Accreditation
(January 1, 2017)
The International Accreditation Commission for Systemic Therapy Education and Training (IACSTE) now provides two levels of accreditation for marriage and family therapy training and education programs. The new classification system has two tiers: Tier 1 Accreditation for Primary Training Programs and Tier 2 Accreditation for Advanced Training Programs.
Tier 1 Accredited Institutions or Programs
Tier 1 Accreditation is based on the demonstration that a program meets the minimum or basic standards set forth by the International Commission for Systemic Therapy Education (IACSTE). Programs desiring to apply for recognition at this level may find the forms here: Tier 1 Application
Tier 2 Accredited Institutions or Programs
Tier 2 Accreditation is based on the demonstration that a program meets more advanced standards as set forth by the International Commission for Systemic Therapy Education (IACSTE). Programs desiring to apply for recognition at the Tier 2 level may find the application packages here.
• Sino-American Family Therapy Institute (the Post-Degree Certificate program in Couples, Marriage and Family Therapy program) - Shanghai, China
All programs accredited by IACSTE must demonstrate compliance with the IACSTE standards and continued student and faculty achievement of program-specific goals. IACSTE accreditation serves a variety of roles including providing a structure for continuous self-evaluation, peer review, and quality assurance on the part of programs. For students, IACSTE accreditation serves as a safe and reasonable basis for the evaluation and selection of an educational program. IACSTE standards require that, among other standards, accredited programs are grounded in systemic thinking, include an understanding and respect for diversity, and incorporate current Professional Marriage and Family Therapy Principles into course curricula.